ATLANTA (June 26, 2022) – ASHRAE recognized the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to the Society and the built environment industry during an Honors and Awards program at the 2022 Annual Conference in Toronto.
“ASHRAE’s Honors and Awards recipients exemplify excellence in our industry,” said 2021-22 ASHRAE President Mick Schwedler, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, LEED AP. “We appreciate your contributions to the global built environment and your commitment to our Society’s mission to serve humanity by advancing the arts and sciences of HVAC&R.”
A list of the awards and recipients are below:
Lincoln Bouillon Award
Josh Bourbonniere, P.Eng., of the Ottawa Valley Chapter, received the Lincoln Bouillon Award, which recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing membership. The award commemorates Presidential Member Bouillon’s efforts in recruiting new members. Bourbonniere is an Account Manager, Trane, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Dan Mills Chapter Programs Award
Mitchell Rohrer, P.Eng., of the Hamilton Chapter, received the Dan Mills Chapter Programs Award, which recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. Rohrer is in Engineering Sales, Master Group, Vaughan, Ontario, Canada.
William J. Collins, Jr. RP Award
Nathan P. Zeigler, P.E., of the Alaska Chapter, received the William J. Collins Jr., RP Award. The award, named in honor of Presidential Member Collins, recognizes a chapter RP chair who excels in raising funds for ASHRAE’s RP campaign. Zeigler is a Senior Project Engineer, Coffman Engineers, Inc., Anchorage, Alaska.
Government Affairs Award
Sonya M. Pouncy, of the Detroit Chapter, received the Government Affairs Award. The award recognizes individuals for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the Society. Pouncy is the Founder and Principal, Building Vitals, LLC, Detroit, Mich.
Donald Bahnfleth Environmental Health Award
Yuguo Li, Fellow Member, of the Hong Kong Chapter, received the Donald Bahnfleth Environmental Health Award, which recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. Li is Chair Professor in Building Environment, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China.
Homer Addams Award
Yunyang Ye, Ph.D., of the Oregon Chapter, received the Homer Addams Award, which recognizes a graduate student who has been engaged in an ASHRAE research project at a university that has graduate programs in the areas of heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and has achieved a high standard of performance in this work. Ye is a Research Engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Portland, Ore.
Standards Achievement Award
Drury B. Crawley, Ph.D., Fellow Life Member, and Roger Hedrick, Life Member, received the Standards Achievement Award, which recognizes exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. Crawley is a Bentley Fellow and Director, Building Performance Research, Bentley Systems, Inc., Exton, Pa. Hedrick is a Principal Engineer, Codes and Standards Group, NORESCO, Boulder, Colo.
Ralph G. Nevins Physiology & Human Environment Award
Thomas Parkinson, Ph.D., of the Golden Gate Chapter, received the Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award, which is given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishments in the study of bioenvironmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health. Parkinson is an Assistant Professional Researcher, Center of the Built Environment, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif.
Student Activities Achievement Award
Muhammad Uzair, Ph.D., of the Pakistan Chapter, received the Student Activities Achievement Award, which recognizes a chapter student activities chair for growth of student activities. Uzair is an Associate Professor, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan.
ASHRAE Journal Paper Award
Rajavel Balaguru, Ph.D., Thomas Bise, and Paul F. Bauch, received the Journal Paper Award for the article, “Key Factors of Fan System Wire-to-Air Efficiency”, judged to be the best article published in ASHRAE Journal. The article was published in December 2021.
Balaguru is a Senior Mechanical Engineer, Johnson Controls Inc., York, Pa. Bise is a Mechanical Engineer, JLR Design Consultants, Inc., Bel Air, Md. Bauch is an Engineering Manager, Johnson Controls, York, Pa.
Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award
David A. Rothamer, Ph.D., Scott Sanders, Douglas T. Reindl, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow Member, and Timothy Bertram, were recipients of the Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award for “Strategies to minimize SARS-CoV-2 transmission in classroom settings: combined impacts of ventilation and mask effective filtration efficiency”. The article was published in October 2021. The award is for the best paper published in the volume year of the Science and Technology for the Built Environment, the ASHRAE research journal.
Rothamer is a Professor, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Madison, Wis. Sanders is a Professor, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Madison, Wis. Reindl is a Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis. Bertram is a Professor, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Madison, Wis.
Crosby Field Award
Zhitao Han, Li Ding, and Gang Wang, P.E., Ph.D., were the recipients of the Crosby Field Award for “Experimental Investigation of Induction Motor Power Factor and Efficiency Impacted by Pulse Width Modulation Power and Voltage Controls of Variable Frequency Drives”, which was judged to be the best paper presented before the Society. The Crosby Field Award is named for a former Presidential Member.
Han is the Dean of the Department of Building Environment and Energy Application Engineering, College of Civil Engineering, Northeast Forestry University, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, China. Ding is a Ph.D. Student of Civil, Architecture, and Environment Department, University of Miami, Miami, Fla. Wang is an Associate Professor, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla.
Willis H. Carrier Award
Li Ding received the Willis H. Carrier Award given to a member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society conference. The award is presented for “Experimental Investigation of Induction Motor Power Factor and Efficiency Impacted by Pulse Width Modulation Power and Voltage Controls of Variable Frequency Drives”. Ding is a Ph.D. Student of Civil, Architecture, and Environment Department, University of Miami, Miami, Fla.
ASHRAE Technical Paper Award
The following papers received a Technical Paper Award, which recognizes the authors of the best papers presented at Society conferences:
- Dennis L. O’Neal, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow Life Member, Jessica Cramer, and Peng Yin, Ph.D., received an award for “Part-Load Airflow and Power Model of Multi- Speed Fan-Coil Units with Electronically Commutated Motors”. O’Neal is the Dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas. Cramer is an Aeronautical Engineer, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Fort Worth, Texas. Yin is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette, La.
- Dennis L. O’Neal, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow Life Member, Jessica Cramer, and Peng Yin, Ph.D., received an award for “A Simple Airflow and Power Analysis of Fan- Coil Units with Electronically Commutated Motors”. O’Neal is the Dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas. Cramer is an Aeronautical Engineer, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Fort Worth, Texas. Yin is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette, La.
- Chaitanya Sai Kodali and Stephen Idem, Ph.D., received an award for “Sizing Ducts Based on a Prescribed Friction Rate”. Kodali is a Quality Engineer, Milwaukee Electric Tools, Greenwood, Miss. Idem is a Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tennessee Tech University, Cookeville, Tenn.
- James W. Smallcombe, Magdalena M?ynarczyk, Ph.D., P.E., Jakob Eggeling, Simon Hodder, Ph.D., Amitava Halder, Ph.D., Kalev Kuklane, Ph.D., Dennis Loveday, Ph.D., CEng, CPhys, and George Havenith, Ph.D., received an award for “Updated Database of Clothing Thermal Insulation and Vapor Permeability Values of Western Ensembles for Use in ASHRAE Standard 55, ISO 7730 and ISO 9920; Results of ASHRAE RP.”
Smallcombe is a Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia. M?ynarczyk is the Head of Laboratory of Thermal Load, Central Institute for Labour Projections - National Research Institute, Warsaw, Poland. Eggeling is a Ph.D. Student, Lund University, Lund, Sweden. Hodder is a Senior Lecturer in Ergonomics / Human Factors, Loughborough University, Loughborough, United Kingdom. Halder is a Research Officer/Ergonomist, Occupational and Environmental Medicine South, Lund, Sweden, and Sports Science Lecturer, Department of Sports Science, Malmö University, Malmö, Sweden. Kuklane is an Expert Occupational Health and Safety, Netherlands Institute for Public Safety (NIPV), Zoetermeer, Netherlands. Loveday is Emeritus Professor of Building Physics, School of Architecture, Building & Civil Engineering, Loughborough University, Loughborough, United Kingdom. Havenith is a Professor of Environmental Physiology and Ergonomics, Loughborough University, Loughborough, United Kingdom.
Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade who have served the Society faithfully and with distinction and who have given freely of their time and talent in chapter, regional and Society activities. The following members were recognized:
- Tiffany Bates Abruzzo, Senior Application Engineer, ClimaCool Corp, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Marites D. Calad, Vice President/Branch Manager, Norman S. Wright Mechanical Equipment Corporation, Waipahu, Hawaii.
- Jason W. DeGraw, Senior R&D Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Pankaj Dharkar, Fellow Member, President, Pankaj Dharkar & Associates, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Joseph Firrantello, Ph.D., P.E., Project Engineer, McKinstry, Seattle, Wash.
- Jason Glazer, P.E., BEMP, Principal Engineer, GARD Analytics, Inc., Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Paula Andrea Hernandez, P.Eng., Vice President, Estudio MPH&H - Ingenieros Consultores, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- John M. House, Ph.D., Fellow Member, Principal, John House Consulting Services, Saint Leonard, Quebec, Canada.
- Rupesh Iyengar, Ph.D., Director, Services Consultants, Bangalore, India.
- Cameron Labunski, P.E., HBDP, HFDP, Principal Engineer, Tom Green & Company Engineers, Inc., Austin, Texas.
- Maggie Moninski, P.E., Senior Mechanical Engineer, SINGH + Associates, Chicago, Ill.
- Aakash Patel, CEO, Volpak Systems, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Christopher Phelan, Co-President, Thermco, Clifton, N.J.
- Jin Wen, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Christopher Wade Williams, Senior Engineer, Trane Technologies, Clarksville, Tenn.
Exceptional Service Award
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Service Award recipients who have continued to serve faithfully and with exemplary effort. The following members were recognized:
- Devin A. Abellon, P.E., Business Development Manager - Engineering Services, Uponor North America, Apple Valley, Minn.
- Michael Brambley, Ph.D., Fellow Life Member, Mechanical Engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
- Srinivas Katipamula, Ph.D., Fellow Member, Staff Scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
- Dunstan L. Macauley, III, HBDP, Director, Setty & Associates, Washington, DC.
- Kashif Nawaz, Ph.D., Group Leader, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Frank H. Schambach, Life Member, Principal Consultant, Total Building Concepts, LLC, New Orleans, La.
- Randy Schrecengost, P.E., BEAP, Life Member, Mechanical Department Manager, Senior Project Manager 1, Stanley Consultants, Inc., Austin, Texas.
Distinguished 50-Year Member Award
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to individuals who have been a member for a minimum of 50 years, and are either a past Society president, Fellow ASHRAE or Distinguished Service Award recipient or who have performed outstanding service to ASHRAE or its predecessor societies – the American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers (ASHVE), the American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE), and the American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHAE). The following members received this award:
- Andrew C. Äsk, P.E., Fellow Life Member, Consulting Engineer, Andrew C. Äsk, P.E., Ft. Myers, Fla.
- James J. Bushnell, Fellow Life Member, Owner, HVAC Consulting Services, Solana Beach, Calif.
- Samuel D. Cummings, Jr., P.E., Fellow Life Member, retired President, Pettit & Pettit Consulting Engineers, Little Rock, Ark.
- Nicholas H. Des Champs, Ph.D., P.Eng., Fellow Life Member, CEO, Des Champs Technologies, LLC, Natural Bridge Station, Va.
- William S. Fleming, Fellow Life Member, Owner, Jacwill Services, Madeira Beach, Fla.
- Bernardo Hubard, Fellow Life Member, retired, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Ronald J. Kessner, P.E., Life Member, retired, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
- Tony McGuire, P.E., Fellow Life Member, Founder, McGuire Engineers, Inc., Chicago, Ill.
- John Sosoka, Fellow Life Member, retired, Eagle, Idaho.
- Robert Suggs, P.E., Fellow Life Member, Owner, RM3 Engineering, Inc., Tucker, Ga.
- George E. Wells, III, P.E., Life Member, President, Agape´ Energy Solutions, Hockessin, Del.
- Lynn F. Werman, P.E., Life Member, retired, Omaha, Neb.
Distinguished 75-Year Member Award
The Distinguished 75-Year Member Award is given to individuals who have been a member for a minimum of 75 years, and are either a past Society president, Fellow ASHRAE or Distinguished Service Award recipient or who have performed outstanding service to ASHRAE or its predecessor societies – the American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers (ASHVE), the American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE), and the American Society of Heating and Air- Conditioning Engineers (ASHAE). The following members received this award:
- Thomas Barrow, Jr., Life Member, retired, Atlanta, Ga.
- Eric H. Schwenker, P.E., Fellow Life Member, retired, Evansville, Ind.
Andrew T. Boggs Service Award
Jim Fields, Life Member, received the Andrew T. Boggs Service Award. The award, named after ASHRAE’s executive vice president emeritus, recognizes an Exceptional Service Award recipient for continuing unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service. Fields is the President, Superior Mechanical Services, Inc., Greensboro, N.C.
Louise & Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award
David E. Claridge, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow Life Member, received the Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award. This annual award is given to an ASHRAE Fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work. The honor was initiated in 1979 by Presidential Member Bill Holladay. Claridge is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Director of the Energy Systems Laboratory, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
Founded in 1894, ASHRAE is a global professional society committed to serve humanity by advancing the arts and sciences of heating ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, and their allied fields.
As an industry leader in research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE and its members are dedicated to promoting a healthy and sustainable built environment for all, through strategic partnerships with organizations in the HVAC&R community and across related industries.
The Society is showcasing integrated building solutions and sustainability in action through the opening of the ASHRAE Global Headquarters building in metro-Atlanta, Georgia.